WHAT ARE THE ELEMENTS THAT ARE LOST IN TRANSLATION? (MAKIKO)
– Is it lost or transformation?
– Do we need to be understood? and is it important in performance for the audience to
know your intension, mood, atmosphere?
– Perhaps mix any languages/sound that resonate and capture the intension of that
What happens physically when you speak your mother tongue to a second language?
Association to memories and childhood.
Loss – Hidden – Misreading – Transforming – Prospective
– Specific meanings of words in different languages and some words that donʼt have a
translation. What is held in that word? eg. Concept, Culture, Tone, Atmosphere
– How does it all resonate physically? ʻAltering the Selfʼ
– Given the complex differences in language and physical actions, how is it that
performance can ʻcommunicateʼ or resonate cross- culturally?
– Chinese whispers as examples of filtered – through – altered meanings